Menu Plan Monday ~ Week of April 19
I’ll be brutally honest, last week kicked my butt. Four days of travel hot on the heels of running my first 10k in five years just about did me in. I spent a good amount of this weekend just recovering. I enjoyed time with family and friends, and did some fun shopping with my daughter. I have two goals this week:
- Prep for another 10k (yup – another one): I’ve discovered that signing up for races helps me stay motivated in my training, so I have another race this weekend and one the weekend after. I’ll be enjoying those carbs once again but am already more relaxed for this race than the last one.
- Continue to restore my energy: If I’m not careful, I’ll end up wiped out again next weekend because I tried to do too much this week, but it’s not like any of my responsibilities are magically reduced, so I’ll be working hard all week to take care of me while I take care of everything else. To that end, I’ll be raiding my freezer stash pretty heavily this week so my time in the evenings can be largely devoted to family and relaxation.
With all that said, this week’s menu plan is shaping up nicely to help me prep for the coming race and to keep my sanity.
- Monday: Tilapia Soft Tacos with Chipotle Cream Sauce with black beans
A healthy fish dinner is a great way to start the week for everyone in my family. This recipe comes together quickly so I won’t be stressing dinner on a Monday night.
- Tuesday: Lemon-Lime Soda Marinated Chicken Breasts
with white rice and sautéed broccoli [freezer stash]
This recipe continues to be a family favorite, and all I’ll have to do is toss the chicken breasts on the grill while the rice and broccoli cook.
- Wednesday: Orange-Glazed Pork Chops with baked potatoes and green beans
Let the carb loading begin with a big ol’ baked potato. Leftovers will be great in lunches for the rest of the week
- Thursday: Mexican Style Meatballs with cilantro rice and black beans [freezer stash]
- Friday: White Chili with Ground Turkey with cornbread [freezer stash]
The chili is nutrient dense with lean proteins, making it a great pre-race meal that everyone enjoys. I’ll keep some Fritos around for impromptu Frito pie making over the weekend.
- Saturday: Greek Pasta with Bison with cucumber and tomato salad [freezer stash]
This race is on Saturday so I’ll want to end the day with a dish that’s easy to make and will replenish what my body used that day. This casserole from my freezer has high-protein but lean bison along with pasta, and the fresh vegetable salad will be an easy side to put together while the casserole reheats.
- Sunday: Bacon-Wrapped Barbeque Shrimp
with grilled vegetables and roasted potatoes
Everyone can get into the fun of wrapping shrimp for the grill, and the vegetables and potatoes almost cook themselves. We’ll have a casual al fresco dinner to celebrate the successes of the week.
Entry filed under: Menu Plan Monday.